.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, February 01, 2007

 

Comet McNaught in the Morning

The southern horizon an hour before sunrise, (click to enlarge).

Comet McNaught is getting dimmer, and the bright Moon doesn't help. But I can still see McNaught as a pale streak against the sky about an hour after sunset. It looks good in binoculars.

McNaught is also visible in the morning, here is an image by Wil Godward, and here is a lovely series from John Drummond in New Zealand.

The south western sky about an hour after sunste (click to enlarge)

If you can't get up in the morning, don't worry. The comet will visible for at least the rest of the week, especially as the Moon rises later. After that, you may need binoculars.

Our guests have departed (sadly) but now I have my office back, so I have a backlog of postings to work through.

Labels:


Comments:
You lucky blokes on the other end of globe.. You had notice that this comet was going to be a good one. I'm near Toronto and caught the comet by pure chance.

Us mere mortals had no idea about the comet. I was watching a beautiful sunset with Venus bright and obvious. Then I saw the comet and didn't believe my eyes at first. It was too good to be true.

Enjoy this wonder..
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?