.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

 

The Moon and Venus again

The crescent Moon and Venus in the late twliight. I particularly like the refections of the crescent Moon in the ocean.

Oh, yeah, you can't see that. For some reason (I am sure I had it on night mode, it was taking 6 second exposures) the camrea didn't pick up the low level light. The clouors of the sky, the ocean/sky interface, the moon in the waves. Nothing.

GAAHHH. Still I saw it though, and it was beautiful, but you have to take my word for it.

Comments:
Dear Ian,

Nice picture! It stunned me as I'm a newbie newbie astronomer (just testing the water) and when I observed the moon last weekend the sickle was faced the other way. Difference of hemispheres that is I guess. I'm glad you are in Australia or else I would have been :P. Although I can see the Big Dipper and Polaris here. Got a question for you.. can you see the Big Dipper and Polaris down under?
 
Yes, the diffenece in hemispheres is what does it (when I visited the northern hemipshere I was severely discombobulated by the Moons appearance.

No, we never see Polaris, and the Big Dipper is only visible low on the horizon in Darwin and North Queensland. On the other hand, we have the Southern Cross, and the best globular clusters , omega Centauri and 47 Tucana.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?